Sunday, June 3, 2007

Green Day wants you to be a....Working Class Hero.


Before I begin, I have two things that need to be said in order for you to completely understand my opinion on this song.

First, I will openly admit that I like Green Day. About two years ago, they were my favorite band. I've seen them live twice. Both times they were compleltly captivating. Both times I "had the time of [my] life." Honestly. Although they are no longer my favorite band, I still find enjoyment in listening to their music.

Second, I am one of those people who firmly believe that NO ONE should ever cover a Beatles or John Lennon song. Peroid.

The unfortunente thing is that this song perfectly proves the second statement. This cover is not that good. Now, mind you, it isn't horrible. I will give Green Day props for three things. First, it definently could be worse. Second, it takes guts to do a Lennon cover, no matter if it is for a cause or not, it takesguts to put out a Lennon cover. And third, and the most obvious, this song is for a good cause (I'll talk about this later.) ....oh, and the choice to end the song with a clip from the original version was a bit o' class.

As you may or may not know, this cover is off of a soon-to-be released John Lennon tribute album called "Instant Karma" (the name of a John Lennon song). All (or most of) the proceeds go to Amnesty International to be used towards helping "save Darfur", and that (in my opinion) is enough reson to go out and by the album. It will contain all John Lennon cover songs, by bands such as R.E.M., Green Day (obviously), The Flaming Lips, The Postal Service, Regina Spektor, Snow Patrol, Jack Johnson, and......Christina Aguilera!

So, in a nutshell: not great song, but a worthy cause. And go buy the album when it comes out, because the proceeds go towards Amnesty International. Plus, it might just have that "hidden gem" that you won't be expecting, you never know...
The Song:
The Video:
Please, please, please, buy the album when it is released on June 12: Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur

No comments: